The Parish of Celbridge and Straffan is the largest parish in the Archdiocese of Dublin and serves a population of 22,000 people. Catering for the pastoral needs of such a large population is in itself a challenge, a challenge which we embrace and serve together as a parish community. The parish has two churches catering for the worshipping Catholic community; St Patrick’s Church, Celbridge, and St. Brigid’s Church Straffan.
The parish community is served by the Parish Team, consisting of 3 priests, parish sisters, two sacristans and a parish secretary. There are also a great number of lay people actively involved voluntarily in ministry groups and organisations, all of which contribute to a parish which is very much alive. As a parish we welcome anyone who wishes to join us in any way for worship, for active involvement in our life and activities. We strive to make our community a true Christian people, who try to live by the core values of the Gospel – love, compassion, support and acceptance.
Christ Church, Church of Ireland, Celbridge
Christ Church is a landmark at the Castle town end of Main Street, Celbridge. It was built in 1883/1884 to replace the previous church which had fallen into a state of disrepair. It was consecrated for worship by Archbishop Trench in 1884. The site was originally gifted by Thomas Connolly then the owner of Castletown House and demesne who also provided the adjacent buildings which were used for many years as schools for local children. The church was designed by Thomas Drew, RHA, with its attractive carved entrance porch. Its exterior, red Whitehaven stonework, has a warm and welcoming appearance.
Religious Congregations in the Parish of Celbridge and Straffan
Sisters of the Holy Family of Bordeaux are part of a worldwide spiritual family founded in 1820 by Pierre Noailles, a priest of Bordeaux. The Family is composed of people from all vocations and walks of life in the Catholic Church – Apostolic and Contemplative Sisters, Consecrated Seculars, Lay and Priest Associates – they have as their aim to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ. They take for inspiration the life and spirit of the Holy Family of Nazareth and thereby seek to revive the witness of the early Christian communities. The Sisters are involved in pastoral work in the area. One Sister, Sr Clare McGrath is Chaplain to the St John of God Kildare Services. In Irishtown there are five Sisters and a group of Lay Associates. For more information visit their website.
Tel: 01 628 8459
Sisters of the Holy Faith came from Kilcullen, Co Kildare in 1878. Margaret Aylward, their foundress, bought houses on Main Street, Celbridge, with permission from Cardinal Cullen. One of these houses had been the original primary school. In 1882 some houses were also bought on Main Street in order to extend the school. It was in 1917 that aid from the state was first received. In 1970 all the old school buildings were demolished and the present St. Brigid’s Primary School was built. The Sisters are involved in adult Faith Development – the Wellspring Centre. Sr. Olive is involved with the Celbridge Folk Group.
Tel: 01 628 8267
The Hospitallers of St John of God, founded in 1537, established services at St Raphael’s Celbridge in 1952 for people with an intellectual disability. Today, St John of God Kildare Services provides a network of Education, Day, Residential and Respite Services to over 380 children and adults at locations in Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth and Clane.
Tel: 01 628 8161
The Salesians of Don Bosco numbered 16,385 worldwide at the last count in December 2006. Founded by St John Bosco in Italy in 1841 and dedicated to the Catholic education of youth in his family spirit of reason, religion and loving kindness, they provide a secondary school for boys on the Maynooth Road, Celbridge since 1981. In Ireland the Salesians are engaged in media and publishing, hostels, secondary, agricultural and horticultural colleges, parishes, youth centres and clubs, chaplaincies (postprimary, university, armed forces and hospital) and a series of Don Bosco Homes in Dublin’s inner city.
Tel: 01 627 5060